Sunday, June 29, 2008

Swanky Panky

Given my recent adventures in outfits of drama and decadence, this weeks Swanky Panky finds yet another way to take your glamour factor up a notch - with a stunning Chapeau. While this post will most certainly make my Northern hemisphere readers jealous, those of you in Melbourne will be rubbing your hands with delight as I introduce Boring Sidney.

"With a BA in Apparel Design and a Minor in Costume Design, Belle has had the opportunity to design costumes for some 25 plays or musicals over the last 18 years... It was in the theatre that she learned the art of Millinery. It is with a love for the bizarre and quirky, a solid sense of humor, and a driving need to create, that she started Boring Sidney/Belle Millinery 10 years ago." - Boring Sidney




I think I would possibly wear this Marlene Dietrich while taking covert meetings with a Private Eye, comissioned to discover the secret shopping haunts of my fashion nemisis.



Lightweight canvas and denim cloche Sunny Days hat, for those of you currently enjoying Summer and sick to death of the same old raffia numbers.



1930's style hand blocked hat Ingrid Bergman in Teal is just so lucsious and lady like. In this number you'll never have to carry your own groceries again.



This off beat Steam Punk number really tickles my fancy. With the goggles it makes me think of women first learning to drive and how wonderfully socially inappropriate they were. Remove the goggles and you have yourself one snappy versatile hat.

So until you are fortunate enough to add one of these beautifully crafted pieces to your collection, give the lonely hat in the back of your closet a much needed make over with a quick trip to the craft store. You'll discover one of the secret beautifiers of hats - they make you walk taller, adding inches to you height and making you feel slimmer. And if that doesn't make an addict out of you I don't know what will!

14 comments:

Smaggle said...

Oh wow those hats are amazing. I'd wear hats every day except that I feel kind of rude wearing them indoors.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow... awesome hats! Thank you vor sharing.

WendyB said...

LOVE the goggles.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Nice pieces. I wish more women wore hats today, they're such a nice finishing touch to a look.

Lisamaree said...

LOve all of them, especially the denim and canvas cloche. What an inspiration.
xx

Shes Dressing Up said...

I love these! Im quite inspired to find some of my old, unworn hats and see what can be done with them now!

Shady said...

I have always been afraid to wear hats. For some reason I feel like I wouldn't look good in a hat. But they ARE perfect for the hot & shadeless sunny desert I live in- maybe I'll get brave this summer and give one a go...

Ruby Hoppen said...

Oh hats! hats! hats! they are all so beautiful! I would wear them everywhere, especially to the supermarket- do you sometimes find yourself dressing to pussy's bow for supermarket shopping? I often do, in fact most of the time I am quite dressed up for the amazingly cute grocery boy who works at my coles!!!
Also, my mum's pretty hot isn't she? she was pretty young when she had me and she is such a party girl! I told her that you offered her an invite to join flickr, but it might take some convincing- she's not so hot on computers!

Candice DeVille said...

Lady Smaggle: Nice to see another Melbourne girl here. It's funny how now we feel rude wearing them indoors. Remember all those old films where the secretary sat outside her boss's office typing away in a lovely hat?
Nadine: You would look so cute in that cloche I think.
Wendy B: The goggles sold me too.
The clothes horse: "Be the change you want to see in the world."
Hammie: It is quite an inspired piece.
She's dressing up: Excellent - show us how it turns out.
Shady: I think you might be more of a spotted veil kind of girl. Check out her etsy shop for some other inspirations.
Ruby May: I always dress up. Sometimes (if I have time) I do like to get a bit extra fancy just to cause a stir in the soup isle. If I have the chance to shop at a market instead of the supermarket, I like to pretend I am shopping in France, and take along a straw basket, buying baguettes and flowers just because they add ambiance.

Lil Midget said...

Pretty cool stuff! I want the goggles!

Kelly said...

that teal hat is magnificent!

Anonymous said...

I saw these on Etsy...love and want them all!

Seeker said...

Gorgeouse hats, love them...
I'm just not brave enought to wear hats here.
x

Candice DeVille said...

Lil Midget: Me too.
Kelly: I love that colour, and the detail on it is hand tatting.
Susie: You should, I remember how amazing you looked in that stunning blue hat.
The seeker: Just wear them with dark glasses for added confidence and no one will know you aren't very brave. :)