Sunday, June 15, 2008

Obsession

Lucy in Wonderland dress - from Danger Dame.

I am dreaming in colour. It is soft and floaty, stiff and rough. It is netting and tulle and all the things that go into giving your day a little pouf. I am tackling several sewing projects all at once, in the hope that by the time I have finished all these requests, I will be the queen of the crinoline. I never started out wanting one, even when they started to appear all around me. It seems that they are just an undercurrent of the time, not yet breaking through to the mainstream, but everyone in my life has to have one. And so I am sewing.
Today I have been making a dozen little Fairy Ballerina outfits for Miss 3's fourth birthday next Saturday. With stiff mint green netting and sparkley pink over skirts, they should be perfect for a rowdy group of princesses. Tomorrow I'll attach the wings, or perhaps I can get them all to earn their wings on the day, (now there's a thought).


I have also been finalising a beautiful pleated tulle skirt for a fellow blogger, and am just trying to get the colour of the waist band fabric right. I couldn't find quite the right crushed blue satin, so my fabric is currently sitting in a bowl of thick, black coffee. Being that it is a poly satin, it is still looking a bit to perky for my liking, but we'll see.
And of course, while out shopping for all these supplies and hanging around in the netting area of the store, I came across something that just held onto my hand for dear life and wouldn't let go until I bought it. A cherry red net, with flocked polka dots. Oh how sweet it is! It is all I can do to save this beauty until my real work is done. She is simply begging to be bound in satin and taken out on the town, (or back to the bedroom). But until I get the serious work finished, she'll just have to sit on the shelf watching "Lucy" re-runs until it is her turn to dance.

13 comments:

Lil' Puch said...

Great fabric!!!
Love the red with polka dots!!!

Elle said...

I want that dress! You would totally rock it. Great red spotted netting stuff too.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Tulle just makes me feel all sugary!

Tonya Staab said...

oooh I'm in love with the red spotty net.

You are just a fabulous mummy making all of those fairy ballerina outfits. I hope you get a wonderful photograph of all the beautiful girls to share with us.

Candice DeVille said...

Lil Puch: I didn't think I'd be the only one loving that.
danielle: I am so tempted by that one. I have a similar dress that I am thinking of customising with the net once it is finished.
Clothes horse: Thats a perfect way to describe it.
Tonya: Thanks. I was hoping that people understand it is not that I am doing the competitive party thing, rather that I don't want to be handing out bags of lollies so I thought I'd make them something instead.

Anonymous said...

*gasp!* Wow, I can't wait to see the finished products!

Tizzalicious said...

That really is fantastic fabric!

And I LOVE the dress!

Anonymous said...

What a dreamy post, SKM! I don't know if I could discipline myself to leave the red tulle alone and finish the other projects. :)

Lady Melbourne said...

Mmmmm, I'm going fabric shopping today and I'll be on the look out for that tulle of yours! Imagine if we turned up to tea in the same dress! I would buy it in black though of course.
Did you know that The Job Wearhouse was having a sale recently? I haven't been in yet, on my to do list but I imagine they would have some quite amazing tulle stuffed away collecting dust somewhere.
LM

Candice DeVille said...

Ivy: Neither can I!
Tizz: I was thinking of you and your tutorial as I gathered meters and meters of tulle.
Amy: It must be done, the project list is so long, and there is no more space for fabric in the room.
LM: Now that would be a giggle. I must get in to the Job WH, my schedule at the moment is diabolical but I really must try.

Lil Midget said...

Such a adorable outfit!
Good luck with the project x

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

I can't wait to see the finished 'project' we discussed...most exciting! While your knee deep in all that crinoline you'll need to make yourself a sash...a queen must always have a sash.

Candice DeVille said...

funny you should say that... I actually already have one that reads "Miss Las Vegas"! Oh and the tiara to match! ( I think I mentioned this particular evening to you.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94393696@N00/2588786895/