Thursday, June 12, 2008

Style Icon - Aunty Mame




As a child I really loved movies, (I still do). I used to kick off my Mary Janes and sit in my tights after church, watching Grace Kelly, Ava Gardner and Cary Grant. I loved nothing better than the Golden Years of Hollywood type of picture, (as is probably evidenced by my style). And while I have many favorites within this genre, Aunty Mame would have to be one of my tops. Not just for the heart stopping costumes, the lavish sets or snappy dialogue, but for the woman herself. Immortalized in the 1956 picture with Rosalind Russell, Mame was the kind of Aunt I wished I had and hoped to become. Every day for her was an occasion. She was generous with her time, her money and her spirit. She made aging seem like a journey to decadence and indulgence, a secret club you can only hope one day to join. She had an astounding presence, and was able to drop a rival with a single glance. She was Fierce, Fabulous and Flawless. Oh, and she had Monkeys at her parties!



"Swathed in chinchilla, trailing a mist of French perfume, balancing an elegant cigarette holder between perfectly manicured fingers and chattering away, Mame is an emblem of glamorous enlightenment — the kind of aunt who lets you drink champagne through a straw, explains jazz to you and lets you stay up at an adult party until you keel over." Quote from Misha Berson of the Sunday times

12 comments:

Lady Melbourne said...

Sounds like we had a similar upbringing. I love this post, its perfect and insightful. I had an aunt that was just like Mame and was so influencial in the way I dress now. I love it.
LM

Mrs. Fox said...

This is my all-time favorite movie. She was a role model for me too. I try very hard to be the eccentric Auntie with adventures and great gifts. "Not right now, darling, Auntie's hung."

..... said...

oh i love those classic beauties !! so gorgeous !

Anonymous said...

Great post! What a wonderful role model Mame is. A journey to decadence and indulgence, well put, I think thats my new life mantra.

Anonymous said...

Aunty Mame is my F.A.V.O.R.I.T.E! I aspired to be like her as a little girl.

Candice DeVille said...

LM: I think we shall have much to talk about come High Tea.
Mrs Fox: I can see Mame quite at home in the room on your banner.
Mr Style: They really had something special.
Cybill: Thank you. I think all women should adopt that attitude to aging.
Trend De La Creme: So glad to hear it. Perhaps that's why we grew up with a much more sophisticated sense of style than those who modeled themselves on Brittany?

Anonymous said...

We shall discuss this 'campery' afternoon...Jackie didn't make the trip, but looking outside I wish she did!!!

Lil' Puch said...

Now i can see where your style comes from, so diva, so classy, a whole classic beauty!!

Ruby Hoppen said...

Yes! I know exactly what you mean- spending a rainy afternoon with your favourite aunties- doris, judy and debbie!
p.s on the photography front, My mum took that picture of me, but sometimes I have to use a timer!

Peggy said...

I adore Auntie Mame! And I adore your blog!

Candice DeVille said...

Lil Puch: Those films were a huge influence indeed.
Ruby May: Oh yes, I just bought a few more Debbie last week to watch over the week. I love "Please Don't Eat The Daisies."
Peggy: Thank you. I'm so glad my readers know the wonderful Mame.

Candice DeVille said...

Ruby May: I mean to say Doris.