Sunday, June 8, 2008

Drama Queen





I know some of you secretly love playing dress ups as much as I do, but it's not all fun and games. After enduring the pain of those sharp and spiky heated rollers, Joan started to come alive. There was much teasing and hairspray involved, which started to bring on fume induced flash backs. I had no idea what I was actually planning to wear until a few short hours before hand, but I knew I needed big hair and lashing of Coco. In the end I went with this original 80's knitted cocktail dress and huge, vintage white fur coat.

I admit, taking these shots and trying to keep a straight face, (not come over all smiley like I usually do) was a challenge. While to party was a hoot, and there were a few stand out performances (Slash, Magnum P.I and a few school uniforms) overall, it looked less like we were at an 80's party and more like a sad bunch of people who had just not updated our wardrobes. Talking to a lot of the guests, that is exactly where their outfits came from! Although we were a motley crew, (ha ha) it all came together to look eerily like a period film rather than a Halloween type event. I was asked multiple times during the evening why I hadn't dressed up! Fair enough, I had never met these people before, but does this say more about me or them?

15 comments:

K.Line said...

How did you manage to do such an awesome "homage"? It's that you have the goods to work with... And how do you manage to know people who throw theme parties?? Great photos, SKM.

WendyB said...

Fabulous!

Elizabeth said...

Brilliant!

Candice DeVille said...

K.Line: Theme parties seem to be big here. I guess because we don't really celebrate Halloween as a rule, (although I use any excuse for a costume party) and it is yet another way for people to make an arse of themselves. Which always seems to go hand in hand with most parties.
Wendy and Enc: Thank you. 'Twas quite the giggle. I would have loved to have dragged Imelda Matt along. She's about the only one I know that could give Joan a run for her money.

Anonymous said...

You look awesome my dear!

Tizzalicious said...

Haha, I love it!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!! You both look great!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe they thought you were a real life Dita van Teese somehow. I really like the drama! Haha, "like a sad bunch of people who had just not updated our wardrobes", hilarious!

Anonymous said...

You looked fantastic! I am a teeny bit worried about the other partygoers not realizing you'd dressed up, though. Maybe they thought your outfit was smashing in any decade? It is!

Candice DeVille said...

Nadine, Kate and tizz: Thanks you. My Man had a great time. People didn't recognize him as he is usually bald.
The Kitten: Wouldn't that be nice! Truth be told, no matter what the occasion I do tend to be rather dramatic.
Amy: Thanks, I do love my dress. I actually bought it for another cocktail party (not costume) so I think it is all in the styling.

Brittany(aka Ruby) said...

Perfection! You nailed the look. I just did hair for a 1980s Dynasty inspired gala and it all had this exact feel. I could have easily passed you off as my own work.;-)
Added you to my faves,as I'm sure your blog will now be a constant source of inspiration.

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

Heaven...LOL....you didn't think I was a speed reader did you? I caught that witty comment!!! Refer to my last comment...we would have made a sassy team!

Danz said...

Oh wow, fabulous dear! The clothes, the makeup, the hair and you definitely have the Joan face perfected! Also, you may have heard this before, but you remind me so much of Regina Spektor.

Times of Glory said...

You give a quirky touch to the old Hollywood glamour! You look simply amazing! The earrings really pick up the jewels on the dress! And the fur make your pale skin even more glowing! You not only have a great style, but also know how to play with it! It looks great fun :)

Candice DeVille said...

Brittany: Thank you! That means so much coming from such as talented stylist as yourself. I wish I had your here to do my hair on a regular basis.
Imelda: Great minds...
Danz: Actually, no I have never heard that. I had to Goggle her to find a reference. I think it may be those red lips that make a resemblance.
Times of Glory: Thank you. I have to admit, I do love the fur. I try to find all sorts of occasions to wear these. And yes, it was great fun; as I think fashion should be.