Monday, June 23, 2008

Fashion Is Where You Find It

Not all of my inspiration comes from movies or fashion pages. And while I love to see the everyday outfits of many of my friends in blogland, there is a wonderful overt sense of style I see in many artists work. I particularly love the pen work of Krystof Nemeth.

"Krysztof Nemeth is a Seattle based artist specializing in fetish, gothic, retro, and low-brow kulture pin-up illustration. For the past ten years, Krysztof has been making a name for himself creating saucy pin-up girls for everything from bands to burlesque troupes, gallery shows to rock shows, and clothing stores to private commissions." Taken from Krystof Nemeth's Charm School.

I love these women, with their curves, their outfits (or lack thereof) and that wicked look in their eye. Unlike so much of the modern photographed pin up work, I find these much less subjective of the subject (if that makes sense), and these gals much more self possessed. Now while I have no intention of replicating these looks to head out for milk at the supermarket, it is the little details Kriztof has included that could add some much needed sass to your day. Break out the pigtails, work some suspenders and wear gloves with short sleeves. You don't need to wear your underwear on the outside to be a fashion hero!


11 comments:

thetinylittlegirl said...

oh wow, i love them! especially that last lady, her boots are killer ;-)

Unknown said...

Ooh how fabulous! I'm off to look at more of his work now!

BTW, please feel free to pick away at my brains, such as they are! :D

TheSundayBest said...

Thank you for the comment. I believe it is customary to indicate when one adds a site to one's blog roll, as I have done with yours.

Francis Girard said...

bring on the curves its taken me 30 long years to love mine. thanks for reminding us girls with hips and boobs that we are fabulous. xf

Mimi said...

nice blog x

Candice DeVille said...

thetinylittlegirl: I think so too.
Flure de guerre: I think you'll love it. I will be in touch with your brain shortly. :)
The Sunday Best: Why thank you! I so enjoy reading your too.
Francis Girard: We can be tough on ourselves, but you are correct; we are indeed fabulous!
mimi: Thank you.

Shady said...

Oooooh right up my alley!
A little off topic but, I do slightly pop-art, retro-styled artwork myself. I prefer to draw from photos and turn them into kinda retro-esque illustrations, and you have so many great photos that are JUST the kind of thing I like to draw... I would love to do one of you!

So, want a free illustrated portrait? Send me a photo of your choice (the glammier the better *wink*), I'd love to draw one for you.

Candice DeVille said...

Shady: Oh yes please! That sounds like so much fun. I'll have to see what I can come up with over the next few days and I'll be in contact. Better get posing. ;)

Lil' Puch said...

Fantastic artwork, love the illustrations!!!
I can see how you get inspired by beautiful, artistic sources

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

meow...If i don't see you down at the milk bar looking like this I'll be 'very disappointed'.

Times of Glory said...

Wowwwww! the drawings are amazing! I love pin-up girls! They have character, pretty, cute and sexy! The work really captures that in a mysterious way xxxxxxxxx