Thursday, May 1, 2008

Love & Hate


I recall a time a few years ago when I was invited to hit the town with a few older girlfriends. We found ourselves in the most stunning little club, complete with a very well stocked bar and some excellent music. There was one glaringly obvious difference to many of our haunts - the other punters. Everywhere we looked there were gorgeous young things in neons, sweatbands, suit jackets with the sleeves rolled up and early Rod Stewart hairdo's. Although this look subsequently made it into the fashion mainstream, at this time it was very cutting edge and new to me. At first I thought that perhaps we had crashed a themed 80's party to which the guests had made a decent effort of costuming, but as the evening progressed a little, it became obvious that this was not the case.

As a group of these young guys (looking about 16) danced on over to us in all their skinny - tied glory, my friend remarked, " Wow, you all look just like Duran Duran!" to which was replied, "Who??" ('Excuse me madame, but your age is showing').
At the time I simply hated the look. I looked upon its wearers with something between pity and anguish. "Oh you poor dears." I thought to myself. "One day you will look back on these photos with a sense of sartorial horror as we too have once done." But then I was over taken by another emotion, I began to love the look. Not for it's startling luminescence, but for the part of myself that was suddenly illuminated. For the first time I didn't feel like the odd one out. I had no desire to run out and fill my wardrobe with neons or clad my butt in spandex. This is not to say that I specifically followed every fashion trend, but it didn't stop me lusting after it and was often only stopped by my budget or body type.


Now, it made me feel good, just to be me, with me own sense of style. It was empowering to know that I was able to walk into my own wardrobe and create a look that was uniquely my own. Not one designed for me by Anna Wintour and her peers. I felt a sense of One well informed by fashion, as if by all the years of learning the rules, I now had license to break them. And off I went. Feeling older, happier and infinitely better dressed.

10 comments:

miss vintage love said...

I had pretty much the exact same thing happen to me not long ago! Now I always see teenagers dressing like I used to in elementary school! I'm just glad I finished that look when I was 12!

WendyB said...

Eek! My heart went pitter patter at the sight of my former obsession, John Taylor.

Kelly said...

*clap*clap* rest assured, you are far better dressed.

Anonymous said...

hahahah...hmmm yes I similar experiance but it involved Guns 'n Roses. Whilst I don't subscribed to trends I can't say that I don't always seek something better than what's being forced feed to masses!

Candice DeVille said...

It's very reassuring to know that I am not alone in this epiphany. There is more hope for individual and creative fashion yet!

Anonymous said...

Yet another one of the benefits of getting older, being beautifully dressed according to your own rules!

Tizzalicious said...

I think fashion from the past is fantastic, but it's got to be from before I was born. We can't go around wear things we wore when we grew up!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Like you and others here, I had the same experience. I often catch myself thinking "I can't get away with the 80s revival because I lived the real thing, and it would look silly on me now." And it would. Part of maturing, both in age and wisdom, is finding your OWN style and developing it. I looked very cute back in the day as a Durannie, but now I dress like myself and love it!

Elizabeth said...

Solid insight, and solid self-image. You are your own girl, and I respect that.

I see teenagers doing this all over the shop, and they think it's new. HAW HAW!

thescientificlolita said...

That's cute!

I guess I'm a young'un, but I still like Duran Duran.

Don't worry, it'll happen to them too.