Sunday, May 25, 2008

How to Lose 10 Years in One Day - Part 2

Following on from my post of the other day, I have decided to post a few photos of myself over the years. While it was not my intention to start a guessing game, moreover to express my confusion, I thought it would be an interesting exercise to make a comparison between me then and me now. When I was younger, people were always mistaking me for much older. Much to his surprise, my first boyfriend thought I was 20 when I was 14 at the time. These sorts of encounters went on for many years, and came in quite useful in there own way. Getting me jobs way beyond my years, and also getting me into trouble. These days, it seems as though the pendulum has swung, and suddenly I am being mistaken for someone younger. I guess I can't complain. It is this very thing that makes the anti-wrinkle cream companies millions.



This first shot is me at 12 on a School excursion. Note the natty way I matched the cat motif on my sweater to the white loafers.



This is me on a family holiday at 14 with my baby brother. My mum made me this dress to my specifications and I remember feeling so sophisticated.



On my Sweet 16th, I chose a period costume for a themed party with all my theater friends. I still use any excuse for a costume party.



Lastly, this is me at 19. Not a costume party, but still a formal occasion. Once again, my infinitely talented mother made the dress, and the hat is my one piece of custom made millinery (to date).

You can probably tell by now that I have always had a love of fashion and a love of drama. No occasion was safe from me and my fantasy dressing. And that's still somewhat the case.

14 comments:

Tizzalicious said...

Wow, that last picture is absolutely stunning!

annabananna said...

wow, you really DO look older than you are in these pictures! how convenient when you want to visit clubs etc. ;) and what a lovely thing that all that turned around now and you now look younger than you are. time is on your side...

K.Line said...

SKM: I think you are actually one of those rare people who looks "ageless". In many ways you look the same now as you did at 14 and 19. Are you willing to disclose your age? (I'm about to be 38 and I can't imagine you are anywhere near that age...)

Anonymous said...

You look so awesome on every picture. I especially like the last one.

Cait said...

What lovely photos! I love your dress and look in the last one - red is my favourite colour. You definitely seem to be blessed with an ageless sort of look.

WendyB said...

You look adorable in that red-hat photo.

Candice DeVille said...

annabannana: Yes, it was very convenient for visiting clubs, and getting into loads of fun / trouble. And you're right, I should be looking at it as a blessing that it has all turned around, and not get offended sometimes.
K.line: I actually still have the dress from when I was 14 and was thinking a resurrecting it as an ultimate wardobe remix. I probably will disclose my age, but then again, once it is in print I'll never be able to change my mind!
Cait: I think it is partly down to the fact that I always seem to come back to the same basic style. I have had my hair every colour and style, but I keep on ending up back here. And while the red lips have taken a short holiday now and then, they always seem to creep back.
Tizz, nadine and Wendy: I do love that red hat. It has made a few excursions to the races too.

Anonymous said...

Look how great you look! I think you're an equivalent to Iman. She's about 53 and looks completely ageless--could be 20, 40, or perfect 60. I agree too that you've found some signature elements to your look, and that contributes to the agelessness. Good job!!

Cait said...

Well, you would be correct (re your comment on my other blog). I don't talk about much on the blogs because it needs to be secure and internet is quite closely watched.

STYLE AND THE CITY . COM - PARIS said...

you are amazing !
so stylish and... you look innocent like a teen.
it's great to watch these photos
that's what i like : style gives personality and that what i want to show in my blog.
YOU LOOK LIKE THE GIRL IN THE BLUE DRESS WITH WHITE SPOT IN MY BLOG : BEAUTIFULL LIKE IN A MOVIE !

thank you very much for your kind words

i'm gonna ad you straight now in my links
if you want to ad me, i'll be honored.

STYLE AND THE CITY - PARIS

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

D.R.A.M.A.T.I.C and I love it!

Elle said...

Hi danielledelamont here from over on stylediary. I adore the photo of you in the red dress and hat....wow. I too have the whole being mistaken for someone older - when I was in 13 I told someone what school I went to and they asked me how long I had been teaching there O_O. My mother has a similar problem with being thought much much younger than she is - good in that she looks young but bad in that she is a senior businesswoman who people don't take seriously becasue they think she's a junior, until she pulls them into line that is :) And when they meet me they think she had must have had me when she was 12 :)

Auntie Tati said...

The red dress is fabulous! Especially I like the hat :)

Candice DeVille said...

Firstly, sorry for the very late response everyone. I have been having some email notification problems...
Amy G: My my, that is quit the comparison, but I know what you mean.
Cait: That first family picture tipped me off. I shan't mention anything of the like on your blog again, not to worry.
Style and the City: What a very lovely compliment. Thank you so much!
Imelda:It was indeed!
delamont: Thanks so much for stopping by. My Mother looks very young too. I hope this bodes well for both you and I when we are older.
Auntie Tati: Nice to see you here. i love the hat too, but it is getting difficult to find occasions for it.