Saturday, May 24, 2008

Swanky Panky


One of the things you will learn about me is I am obsessed with decorating, and then re-decorating. I work room to room and then once I have finished I am likely to be inspired all over again. We moved house just over twelve months ago, and as I was heavily pregnant at the time, I didn't do much in the way of decorating. So I have been living in a passable, but fairly nana-ish environment for the better part of a year. As I slowly work on the Master bedroom, (I spent today re-painting furniture in a kind of Gothic Burlesque theme), I am busy thinking about how I would like to redo my kitchen. After seeing these very cute photos from Johanni, (you really must check out her photo stream. She has THE MOST amazing personal retro style) I am all inspired to paint my cabinetry in the same blue as her walls, and inject a little humor to the room.

So of course, off I went to the treasure trove that is the internet, looking for inspiration and lovely things to fill my kitchen with. So this weeks Swanky Panky is a little kitsch for the kitchen.



I just love this poster, so cheeky!



But this one is probably not such a good idea with a highly suggestible 3 year old around.



When things get a little too hot to handle, this trivet from The Vintage Kitchen should do the trick.

The tiles I have in the kitchen are a fairly non offensive cream colour, but I'm not so keen on the feature tile. It is very Australiana, a galah hanging from a gum leaf branch. (My fellow Australians will understand this cringe) So I was thinking of having them re-sprayed, but it costs a lot and may look quite shabby, so I am instead thinking of covering them with something like these decals.


I am not really into reproduction canisters and things (so over done!), but I do have some of those multi coloured Nally ones, just like my great grandmother had. Come to think of it, they could have been hers as I bought them from her local op shop, (although Great Nana dies many years ago). When I came across this vintage one on EbayI thought it was perfect for storing all chocolate and other treats in. A perfect reminder of what will happen to my arse should I choose to indulge.




And while I'm doing all this, I could recover the kitchen chairs too. I think that this Dick and Jane fabric from Repro Depot would work particularly well on those guests that go secretly ferreting for the cooking sherry after dinner.



** Re: Dressing your age from yesterday - I am going to track down some photos of my at about 19 for comparison. That should be interesting. **

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love all this old-school stuff. I wish I could do my place in that style, but it's a stucco/red-tile place, which doesn't lend itself to such a look.

Lady Melbourne said...

I'm sure you'll do a stellar job, but if you want decorating ideas you have to check this out:
http://thepeakofchic.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love retro. Have you seen this shop with Dick & Jane prints? I am going to be ordering some to make dresses for my daughter, but they would make very cute chair covers, tablecloths, curtains, etc.!!
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Candice DeVille said...

enc: You're right, decorating does have to be sympathetic to the environment. My place is only 12 years old, but rather than decorating in a particular era, I take a lot of the retro elements I like and create something that probably never existed.
Lady Melbourne: Fabulous site! I have much reading to do.
Amy G. You could get really ironic and make matching outfits for you and your daughter. I guess the only danger is that some may not see the funny side.

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

The lard canister is a must for sweet treats...heaven!

Tizzalicious said...

I love your picks!

I am like you, I love decorating. When I was younger I'd move around all the furniture in my room on a weekly basis!