Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Spring Surprises

Firstly, thank you to every one who commented on the 200th post competition. To ensure impartiality in our draw, I have enlisted the services of Miss 4 as the delightful barrel girl. And the result is in, the winner is The Vintage Housewife!





Given that Miss 4 is making a cameo appearance today, I thought I'd go all out and let her give you the daily outfit today. (I have quite a number of requests to see what the girls wear) We spent the morning finishing this dress off for her, which at first she was a little worried why I'd make her a boys dress. A boys dress? Ah, that would be because of the black then. The fabric was left over from a gorgeous spring skirt I've made for myself, and you may remember my thoughts a little while ago on making matching outfits for the girls and myself. This dress is part two of the set. When I have something completed for each of us, I will post some appropriately cheesy and hysterical shots for your enjoyment.

I'd be out and out lying if I told you I dressed her like this everyday. More often than not I am begging her to put on track pants before she rides her bike, or that floor length skirts and slides don't mix. But she always wants to be a princess and just adores her dresses. So I've given in and just decide to make her a bunch that she can play in and enjoy. I'd love to dress her in true vintage, but honestly I couldn't stand to see it get ruined and I hate to be too precious about things. So instead, I've found a bunch of vintage patterns and am making them up in modern fabrics to keep them edgy. So here she is looking swish and dancing around the garden.








And that is how my Marie Claire was delivered this morning!

19 comments:

Lisamaree said...

Wow you have a BIG garden!
She's so pretty, and I love that you are making her "play" dresses. Something I am always on the look out for Myself. So I can happily participate in a world that includes vegemite fingers, chocolate faces and well.......
Then throw it all in the wash for tomorrow's fun.
I especially love her hair too. Great style...
xx

Anonymous said...

I do the same for my dd5, as the only girl with 4 brothers she's such a tomboy but LOVES dresses and all things pretty. My only rule, it has to be washable and not too much of a pain to iron.
Your dd is so lovely and looks very much like you, too cute.

Anonymous said...

What a little sweetie! The dress you made is just lovely and what a nice way to receive your mail.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty dress on a very pretty girl! And very practical to make up play dresses that will or won't survive hard play, and won't matter either way. Hope you are feeling better!

The Vintage Housewife... said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

oh! she is so adorable. i love that print.

Elizabeth said...

You have done well, SKM. Miss 4 is a beaut. I expected nothing less.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet little pixie!

Kelly said...

She is a doll! I love when you say something about the barrel girl and she gives that cute little smile!

I was the same way - my mom says that I just out and out refused to wear anything but skirts and dresses until I was quite old (7 or so?)

And now I think I'm almost back to that. I wear jeans once in a while but I wouldn't lose any sleep if someone told me I had to wear a skirt every day of my life.

The Vintage Kitten said...

Hi, I just popped by to say you have a great blog. Your little girl is a cutie

Candice DeVille said...

Hammie: That's not even that half of it, the garden is HUGE! I think we may have a lost scout troupe in there somewhere.
Theresa: I'm with you on the ironing. P.I.T.A!
Cybill: She thought she was little red riding hood.
Amy G: thank you, I am definitely on the mend.
Danielle: I always think children's clothes look much better in adults print, it looks less twee to me.
enc: I've been instructed to head out today and make a pink one complete with real working wand!
Sal: A pixie indeed - always into trouble.
Kelly: Time was that little girls only ever wore dresses. I realise that they aren't always practical but she might condescend to wear some fancy bloomers underneath. I'm thinking of making some Knickerbocker style for fun.
The vintage Kitten: Thanks for stopping by!

EDITOR: FYI in case anyone is wondering why you are seeing a deleted comment for the first time ever on my blog, it is because it contained an email address and I'd hate for the spam bots to get their sticky mitts on it. It's important to me to protect your privacy, so if you'd like to email me, just use the link in the top right hand column of the page.

Bucca said...

What a little cutie! that dress is adorable! and the basket! all she needs now is a little red cape with a hood!

Kim said...

Adorable! I miss my daughter being that little so I could dress her again. Being 11 she doesn't let me have too much say. :(

K.Line said...

Eek, that child is so delicious I want to bite her all up :-) (Just kidding.) She's like Little Red Riding Hood.

emsydo said...

aw the photos are delightfully cute! she's even wearing pearls! :)
oh i second hammie on how HUGE your garden is.

Cait said...

Your daughter is such a DARLING! It's so fun to see photos of her.

Anonymous said...

Oh you have the most adorable daughter in the world! And the dress is so lovely.

I hope you feel better soon too!

Lil Midget said...

She's so pretty!

Seeker said...

OMG, she is so beautiful and cute.

xx