Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's All Wrong

I've spent this weekend feeling very creative. As I've wandered around my favorite photo sites, new craft blogs and the pages of other artistic individuals, I've felt moved to create. I always seem to have some project or other on the go, but sometimes I want to expand my repertoire and make something new. But I am foiled.

Foiled by my own fear of failure and paralyzed with inaction. The thought process goes something like this. " Oh my what a delightful necklace that is. I'll bet I could whip one of those up myself." Which then moves to; " All I need to do is pop out for a few supplies, but then I'm trying not to spend money, so I'll make do with what I have." As I start to sketch up ideas, the pencil just doesn't seem to be doing its interpretative duty of the images in my head. "Never mind, I'll just go with the flow and it is bound to be a masterpiece." I pull out all my tools and look at the pile of notions in front of me, and while they look lovely, nothing is jumping of the table saying wear me. As I am twisting the first piece of wire I start to think, " I really don't need another necklace, I mean really when the hell am I going to wear this creation I have too many already." Now that's not right. I should be fantasizing about just how much more attractive this necklace is going to make me. How the subtle way I've added a little charm here and there will increase my wit at parties. But somehow, it is still just a pile of stuff that is not looking any more animated than when I started.

So like the trooper I am, I decided to quit and make some coffee instead. And then I broke a nail.. Bugger.

Inspiration



from Krisatomic
A fashion stylist who is very handy with a camera. This shot is of a Luella necklace - the source of my current pain. (I don't know if she took this shot herself, but either way...)

12 comments:

Antoinette said...

I love these! With tea served out in the garden please!
Love your style as usual Super Kawaii Mama!

All the best with your creative project, it makes me want to get back into making my own jewelry. Although I'm tempted to just buy something gorgeous off Etsy. Lots of delectable treasures of this nature.

Lisamaree said...

I can see the inspiration, but I fear they would give me whiplash.

As for creativity? you cannot force it. If in your own mind you cannot see the benefit of making something that will be in Claire's Accessories for a lot less trouble; then don't.
Use your creativity for something that people will notice and reward you for; with compliments.
xx

Shallow Coffee said...

I understand completely. I have several sewing projects I want to do but my brain starts telling me things like, "You will probably thread the machine wrong again, you can't really sew that well. You know no one really wants more pillows, would you really wear that skirt?"

Hang in there. If you make the necklaces I'll thread the sewing machine.

Elizabeth said...

Maybe if you wait a little bit, until your strong inspiration comes back . . . .

Anonymous said...

Luella's S/S 09 collection is throwing out a lot of things for me...

Doll legs said...

OO they are beautiful,you should tried to do it in other time:)

floraposte said...

Love the look of the pink pearls and really, really hate the way there is some breakdown of communication between head and paper!

WendyB said...

You can't have too many necklaces. After all, you have a neck that should be adorned EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE!

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

You can do it...and do it better than you imagined.

esme and the laneway said...

Oh, I know what you mean!
This neckalce looks beautiful. It would be lovey to have a version that was just your own!

Jessi M said...

I know just what you mean, that happens to me a lot. Give it a shot, I'd love to see what you come up with!

Anonymous said...

While the necklaces are nice, I would really love the top on the bottom left, any one seen one around melbourne?