Saturday, November 15, 2008

Daily Outfit - Picnic in the Park






Today's outfit was especially for a picnic date with some of my fellow vintage enthusiasts. This amazing dress, which I am pegging as early 1950's, is a home made vintage number that I picked up on my recent trip to Houston. The construction is one I haven't seen before. From the front the dress appears to be nipped in at the waist, but the shaping is done by an elastic belt on the inside back of the dress that pulls the sides in. At the back it has these two 'train' like pieces that flow from the shoulders, making it look almost like a cape effect. As one of my lovely friends said, "It is very Hawaiian Honeymoon".

The hat was also one of my Houston purchases and I am so glad I bought it. I hummed and haarrd over it as it was difficult to pack in crushable straw, but I decided to risk it as it was just so fab. I need to make a few small adjustments to it, as it has such a shallow crown size, it is difficult to keep aloft. I tried it today with a hat pin, but to no avail. With such a large brim and small crown, it was making a play for freedom.

But what a lovely day it was. The sun was shining, (although there was doubt of that as it stormed all day yesterday) and the location divine. However, in my rush to get Miss Four out to her ballet concert before I headed off, I forgot the camera! That is just not like me. This ballet business has been much more involved, long winded and demanding than I expected for a Four year old's class. However, I have much to say on that so I'll save it for another day. For today's picnic I even had a date. The Mr. came along and little Miss One too. So we feasted on sandwiches and pretzels,bundt cake and petite fours, and a gin and tonic or two. What a way to spend a Saturday. I hope your's is just as sunny, even if only metaphorically.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

True to my word, I went searching for those red wedges today at Kmart. I really wasn't sure about the candy striped sole (!!), and almost didn't buy it...but after a quick hunt around decided there was nothing else that came close for comfort or value for money. So thanks for the inspiration, and here's to 3 years of comfort and dare I say it, style!
Love the hat in today's post-perhaps some ribbons to tie under your chin to help keep it on?
Jo

Anonymous said...

Looks as though the red shoes are earning their keep. I am in the US, I am keeping my fingers crossed to see them this spring.

Milkberry said...

Awww I'm jealous!! It's freezing here. I cant wait for spring/summer so I can wear summer dresses again! Oh btw, can I add your link on my blog?

K.Line said...

That dress is fascinating. And so elegant. Great photos SKM.

Ivy Frozen said...

That dress is gorgeous! & any tips for getting a hatpin in without harming yourself? I recently got a feather hatpin but I havn't been able to get it into my hats properly, and I can't find information on them.

Lisamaree said...

I'm hearing a scratchy gramaphone playing swing music over the forces radio and Tokyo Rose telling the officers to go home to their pretty wives.
Fab outfit Mama!
xx

floraposte said...

Great dress! Overall a fabulous 40's look.

Candice DeVille said...

Anon: I loved their candy striped soles. But then I go in for cute. :) Glad you found them.

Anon: They sure are. I've had some good shoes suggestions so hopefully some more may be making an appearance, but the red ones are amazingly versatile.

Milkberry: I love layering up for autumn and winter, so much fun and creativity to be had. And I'd be honored if you link me. :)

K.Line: Thank you.

Ivy Frozen: Well it has to be a sharp pin for starters and then you put it in on an angle into the area where you have the most hair. So generally if your hair is up underneath, you find the area with the most "padding" to stick it into. Think about how you put in a bobby pin and it is similar.

Hammie: That is exactly what I heard when I tried it on. Very Rita Hayworth in Miss Sadie Thompson.

Flora Poste: Thank you. It was a fairly intense vintage look, but lots of fun too.

Miss_Red said...

Lovely dress, it's such an unusual shape and the print is so vibrant! great find :)

Lady Melbourne said...

I'm so glad you bought the hat, it is wonderful!!! Got to keep that perfect complexion of yours out of the sun at all costs!
LM
x

WendyB said...

Well, you are just outrageously glamorous. There oughta be a law.

Neroli said...

The 50's is my favorite era, especially the "New Look" with the nipped in waist and flared skirt.

What an absolute darling find. You certainly found some wonderful pieces on your recent trip.

Have you tried to stick extra pads into the crown of the hat? It is so pretty that it would be a shame not to be able to wear it often.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the dress! And those shoes are from Kmart? Holy Fritos!

Andrea Eames said...

You look absolutely amazing! And sun-smart ;)

Penny said...

that hat looks fabulous on you!

Unknown said...

You are reminiscent of Scarlett O'Hara! The hat and dress look divine.