Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Blue Bordello

*Picture heavy post - but worth it*


It has finally happened. The great bedroom decorating project has come to a close as I put the finishing touches to it this week. Given that my penchant for decorating is never ending, I'm trying to finish each room before tackling the next. So my plans for the kitchen spurred me on to complete the bedroom.

The limitations with this project were that I was attempting to work with floral blinds that are not at all to my taste, and a fairly innocuous mushroom carpet. The expense of replacing the blinds I just couldn't justify, so I had to find a creative way to work them into my style. They were originally part of a Shabby Chic meets Laura Ashley style of decoration that the previous occupant favoured. But it was just too insipid for me. After hours of wallpaper stripping, and a month or so of living with colour chips on the wall to aid in the decision process, I tossed the whole lot out and went on instinct with this fabulous blue. "Cossack Dancer" by Dulux. Not for the faint hearted, this colour caused many an odd look at the hardware store when I was asked what on earth I would be painting this colour!

To counter balance the floral in the blinds and give more punch to the glossy black furniture (which I also restored and painted), I chose this amazing Chinioserie print from Chesapeake papers. I have never ever wallpapered before, (that trend was happening when I was a child) so I called on the help of my grandfather who could hang this stuff in his sleep. So after much painting, changing all the light fixtures, re-upholstering, wallpapering and pimping all my furniture, this is the result!



11 comments:

KittyMeow said...

Oh it all looks very beautiful!! The colours work nicely and I do love all the black laquer.

Awesome :-D

Desci said...

How stunning! You should feel ridiculously proud.

Tabitha said...

That is a great chandelier and love how it compliments the room.

Kasmira said...

It's wonderful! I love the sheen of the black laquer. Did you use an oil based paint to get that shine?

WendyB said...

Gorgeous! Love the red couch against the blue walls.

floraposte said...

Love the black lacquer furniture!

Neroli said...

The wallpaper is fantastic - what a great job you and your grandfather did.

Isn't it fun to involve family in your projects? Mr TMS is always doing things around our house with his father and I find that in itself rather lovely.

Love the chandelier too!

Anonymous said...

Where to start?! I love it all, thats a dreamy boudoir indeed :)

The print on the paper is simply divine and I adore the chandalier and so many other touches - too many to mention them all!

You're so lucky to have your grandfather alive and helping with such a project. I think that makes the room even more beautiful :)

Antoinette said...

Superb! I love it! The black, and blue, and red are fab. You've created a truly divine boudoir retreat.

atomicliving said...

I just recently redid my bedroom here on the cape and I need to take photos. GOOD JOB, isn't decorating the cat's pajamas?

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

The wallpaper is to-die-for as are your high heeled slipper that have been snuck into the pictures.