Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Style Icon - Pola Negri




On rare occasions I am referred to as a Drama Queen. Oh who am I kidding, it may be rare that I am told this, but frankly I think it is said daily out of my ear shot. But were I lost for for words (god forbid), I would not be lost for other methods of expression, thanks to the wonderful tutelage of true stars like Pola Negri.

It is not so much her wardrobe I admire, but those other wonderful elements that make her a stylish woman. Her mannerisms. The way she tilts her head, eyes closed, as if her own presence is a delicious treat. A cigarette between her fingers becomes a prop that is used to indicate disdain, indulgence or passion.




For a dose of instant silent screen queen drama in your day try these tricks.

  • Make up your eyes, darkly and dramatically. Practice your withering glances in the mirror till you can drop a man at ten paces.
  • Wear gloves with everything, even in summer. Not only will they give your outfit an edge, you can use them to hail a cab, keep the suns damaging rays from your delicate skin, or to protect your hands from beard rash when you slap that rogue of a man.
  • In these days when smoking is banned most everywhere, find yourself another useful prop. Take to carrying a fan that can be folded in your hand. It is perfect for glancing up behind, gesticulating with and hitting uncooperative shops assistants.

Next time you feel your confidence flagging, close your eyes and imagine you're a woman like Pola.


10 comments:

Sheri said...

definitely good for slapping people with, and gesturing! I love gloves, and just found my perfect pair of driving gloves last week

Elle said...

They say style is an attitude and Pola positively drips it, and she knows it too!

Kelly said...

"or to protect your hands from beard rash when you slap that rouge of a man."

hehe, this cracked me up.

I also love that dog she is pictured with. I wish I was a glamorous movie star with a huge estate so I could have dogs like that and they could run around and look fantastic standing next to me!

miss vintage love said...

Oh wow, those shoes in the second photo of her are amazing! I LOVE them.

Francis Girard said...

Im also called a drama queen daily - Im terribly spoilt and a cliched only child (apparently). I like to refer to myself as "loved" others prefer spoilt. Plus the drama makes me interesting and endearing (lets hope anyway). 3 cheers for drama queens!!! xf

Cheryl Lynn Pastor Romance Author said...

What a beautiful post about a beautiful and intriguing woman.

Kudos. I feel my femme fatale coming on...

Candice DeVille said...

Sheri: I love my driving gloves, but I always find them hard to wear with my rings on, and I don't want to take them off just for the gloves.
DD: And you've got that attitude in spades.
Kelly: Now there's an idea. I'll have to get one of those dogs and then that way Miss 4 won't need a pony.
Miss Vintage: they remind me of those black Wittner ones I have been wearing so much.
Francis G: Life must be so boring for ordinary people. ;)
Cheryl Lynn: The Femme Fatale is also useful to channel when calling in sick for a day off work.

WendyB said...

Look at those great shoes she's wearing in that one photo. Very Chloe!

Anonymous said...

I'll take onboard the gloves tip...especially since my hands aren't that pretty...

Shady said...

LOL! You made me giggle.
Love this, I need a bit more attitude these days, and this is such inspiration heheh. That first picture is so awesome.