Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Giving "Crafty" A Whole New Meaning


Prepare to be disturbed. Perhaps I have entered a strange and bizarre parallel universe. Then again, it could just be a case of Paris Hilton and her "marketing genius' strikes again. In a move that has received derision across the board from the craft world, Paris Hilton has launched her own line of DIY craft supply kits! Aimed at young teens who are “sophisticated and savvy young ladies in search of trend and prestige.” It is already giving me the kind of headache that occurs somewhere between ice cream and six bags of fairy floss.

Firstly, explain to me how hot gluing a bit of Paris branded glitter into your scrap book is going to satiate that, oh so modern, desire for "trend and prestige"? I'm quite sure that Paris didn't achieve the dizzying heights of her success by staying in and hot gluing on a Saturday night. (Not that I have any problem with that activity as you well know).

Perhaps it is an attempt to find a way to "normalise" or connect with a middle class activity in these times of down sizing and cash not being so flash anymore. This could be Paris's way of saying, "I'm really just like you." But will it work?

To me it seems yet another insidious attempt to worm her cheap and nasty brand of tack into the impressionable minds of the next generation of fashionistas. What will this woman not market? Maybe she should stick to products more related to her lifestyle. How about Paris's Patented Enema Kit? Now there's a movement from Paris I'm already feeling.


9 comments:

Twila Jean said...

*shakes head*

I dont get it.

Unknown said...

I'd love to have a look at exactly what the "creativity collection" contains - diamantes? hemming instructions to hike up those skirts? Who knows? I am curious.

i devour fashion said...

hmm..a movement? then, i'm with you, darlin'!

i'm just glad my daughter doesn't like her or should i say, it's a relief.

have a blessed week ahead! =)

Stephanie N. said...

Ew, ew, ewwh, ick! And I was thinking all that before you got to the idea about the enema kit.

Bucca said...

lol I love the last comment!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TheSundayBest said...

Paris Hilton - taking opportunism to new levels since 2001.

BTW - isn't she a millionaire heiress already? Why isn't that enough for her???

Jaine said...

I this post just about had me foaming at the mouth, what the hell does Paris Hilton know about craft & design?

At this point I'm not apologising for being a 'craft snob' you are looking at the girls who got a first class degree in Textile crafts so stuff like this makes my blood boil.

But I take comfort in knowing that intelligent people which just snigger at her 'craft kits'....

kral oyun1 said...

7gunsaglik.com 7günsağlık rüya tabirleri medya rüya tabirleri sözlüğü rüya tabirleri yorumları islami rüya tabirleri sitene ekle rüya yorumları haber fıkralar fıkra oku I'd love to have a look at exactly what the "creativity collection" contains - diamantes? hemming instructions to hike up those skirts? Who knows? I am curious.