Monday, February 9, 2009

Disaster

Image from Nine MSN. Click to read the latest news reports.

I cannot write to you about fashion today. My home state is on fire. Multiple fires have been blazing across our country as a result of the extreme heat wave, but none is more affected than here in Victoria. The death toll is currently at 108 people and is climbing rapidly, hundreds upon hundreds of homes have been lost, entire towns raised to the ground. This is officially the worst disaster in the recorded history of our country.

While we here are in no immediate danger, fires have been occurring no less than thirty minutes from my house and the smoke is carried on the wind. We live in a forested area, so we have planned for evacuation should any danger appear, but it seems we are out of harms way. Saturday was our hottest day on record and reached 48 degrees here at home. The winds have been fierce, up to 90 kilometers per hour, and the sky like nothing I have ever seen before. As we sat at home, keeping out of the heat and out of danger, we watched the wind tear through and the sky turn an eerie ash white. No sign of the sun, blue or clouds, just a shade that spelt disaster. We knew things were burning but not how badly.

The scale of this disaster and the total loss of lives is still not known as the fires continue to rage. Entire families who could not escape in time have been lost. Parents have left children with friends, never to return. Husbands could not reach their wives and children trapped at home as fire rained down.

I can hardly tell you how devastating this is for people in our community, but as always people rise to the occasion, show their best selves and pull together to do what they can to help.

How You Can Help

Donate Blood
Red Cross Bush Fire Appeal
Salvation Army Bush Fire Relief Appeal

UPDATE 11th Feb
Thank you so much for your kind wishes, thoughts and prayers. Sadly the death toll has now reached over 130 and they are predicting to see it reach 300 in a day or two. At the moment the fires are still burning (much further from me), but in an area that is directly affecting my extended family with parts of their properties being burnt. Fortunately they haven't been injured, but as you can imagine it is very much on my mind. While business carries on in town here it is with somber moods and heavy hearts.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's incredibly sad isn't it. I'm feeling for everyone in Victoria and I'm very thankful that I'm in W.A and that my family is safe.

Makes you really appreciate everything you have when you see these tragedies.

Stay safe.

Bucca said...

I've just posted a similar entry.
It's so terrible isn't it.
I'm off to donate blood on my lunch break today.

K.Line said...

SKM: I've seen this on the news and I've been thinking about you. I pray for your safety and that of your home. Keep us posted, please.

thevintageyear said...

I hope you stay safe and well. It's truly horrifying.

Scribbles said...

Hey hun,

I'm praying for you guys - if that's not your belief, just take them as good sparkly vibes protecting your home and your family.

Lots of Love!

Gladis said...

I have been thinking about you and your family for the past few days.

I'm very happy to know you are safe, and my thoughts are with all of Australia right now.

Zelda Rose said...

I had heard about what was going on but did not know it was near where you live. As someone who has lived through enough natural disasters, I so hope they get these fires under control soon. Please be careful?

Anonymous said...

I just read that from the newspaper. Hope things will be under control soon. Take care~!

Mod and Mint said...

It is unbelievable how much devisatation the fires are causing. Praying they will get under control soon.
Pls stay safe!

Rhia said...

My thoughts are with you. Living on another side of the world it is sometimes difficult to understand what is happening on the other side, but reading blogs makes world smaller and you get to touch other peoples lives in places you have never been. I heard from the news that some of the fires are lit on purpose! How unbelievably stupid of those people! Stay safe and keep us posted so that we know you are ok.

weenie_elise said...

i donated blood last week. It's good to know that it will be used.

Mervat said...

As I sit here reading your blog the newsreader in the background announces that the Victorian bush fires' death toll has risen to 12. And, to think it may have been the result of arson! Wishing you and your fellow Victorians safety and peace.

Mervat (Sydney).

Mervat said...

Typo: the death toll is 128.

Mervat.

Skye said...

Everytime I log on and see that the toll has risen I just feel sick - I keep hoping that somehow they'll say, "Sorry, we made a mistake - really all those people were safe, we just couldn't find them til now.'

So terrible and sad and awful this is.

Anonymous said...

well reported hun, it has been terrible and we all have those who have lost so much in our thoughts and hearts, it is something that is on a scale that is incomprehensible, can only hope it ends soon

Unknown said...

I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best. What an awful thing :(

Greetz from Tiz said...

I wish you all the best, take care!
a big hug x

Melba said...

I've also been thinking of you, as I know from your posts that you are somewhere with trees, outside central Melbourne.

So glad to hear that you and family are ok.

We'll be doing all we can.

Sorry first comment has to be under these circumstances, I do enjoy your blog.

All the best.

Fellow Melbourne Girl.

Anonymous said...

You and your community are in my thoughts. I hope you're well out of harm's way and that the fires are under control very, very soon. This was on our news here on the other side of the world-- we are all wishing you well.

Tizzalicious said...

That's absolutely horrible :(

Laura Gilmour said...

My thoughts are with you

Stay safe

CP x

Amber said...

To think I was worried about the crocodiles in your streets! I'm so sorry this is happening. California has seen this same thing happen to us and I know how scary it is. Please stay safe and know that you and your family are in our thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I came here as soon as I could after reading about the fires elsewhere. I hope all is well and you and your family stay safe. I am thinking about you.

Heather said...

I've been reading the reports from here in Canada. The horror of reading that some of the fires may have been arson... there aren't any words. Wishes of safety to you and your family.

floraposte said...

Glad that you and yours are safe. Thinking of all those who are suffering so much at the moment.

Unknown said...

Hey SKM, this is not the best time for my first post but
I know how you are feeling. My dh myself and my newborn daughter were in a similar situation a few years ago.

Even though we are in the west and safe ( we have 38 today and 40 tomorrow) we are thinking of you and hope that no more lives are lost. Please take care and keep us updated.

Londyn said...

Thanks for posting this. Many thoughts and prayers are with you and those affected by this tragedy.

esme and the laneway said...

What a good post. I am glad you are ok – it is so forresty even in those 'burbs.

We are donating clothing, and John and my friends are giving blood – unfortunately I can't do that as I lived in the UK in the '90s – and I am donating towels etc to for animal care... it's just so sad.

Unknown said...

oh no! stay safe. growing up in southern california, i know how damn scary fires are. my thoughts are with you and your beautiful state of victoria.

Robo said...

I'm very glad you and your family are okay, and fires are indeed scary and eerie. As soon as they said "Melbourne area," I thought of you. Having gone through a major fire here in Southern California in November that was perilously close to my house, I can understand what you are going through. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who were hurt or lost their lives to the fire, and I hope the fires will be contained soon.

Candice DeVille said...

Hi everyone: Thank you so much for your kind wishes, thoughts and prayers. Sadly the death toll has now reached over 130 and they are predicting to see it reach 300 in a day or two. At the moment the fires are still burning (but much further from me), but in an area that is directly affecting my extended family with parts of their properties being burnt.Fortunately they haven't been injured, but as you can imagine it is very much on my mind.

Lisamaree said...

I am so terribly sad too Super Mama. My family are all in Ballarat and Western victoria, but I was waking them up with panicked texts on Saturday, and absolutely devastated by the news on Sunday night.
I had to collect my children early from school on Thursday because they were about to be snowed in. I felt very lucky as I held them on Sunday night, both perfectly safe.

Still trying to find out how we can donate from here in Ireland.
Not that it will bring anyone back, but perhaps the love will help the healing in Victoria. I am sorry for your families loss/
xx