Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Green Power

Image of the front porch in Duluxeville

One of the things I find most relaxing in summer is the power of a lush and shady garden. Huge, broad branched oaks, arms laden with leaves. Violets growing in the shade and the perfect seating to lie back and enjoy the view. While it is too hot out to leave the comfort of my lounge, I can at least look out the window and fantazise about the garden I would like to have. This shot of the simple, lush front porch over at Deluxeville really got me thinking about the power of greenery to calm the senses. I'll be off to add a confection of hanging baskets to my veranda this week I think.

I am lusting after this 1950's garden setting currently listed on eBay, but am loathed to pay the interstate shipping costs when I could probably find something similar searching junk shops here. Damn you eBay and your powers of instant gratification.

Image from Coast Ranger

I've been wanting to put in a pond for ages, however it is a long way down the list of things to do at the moment. But this beautiful specimen puts me in mind to bump the project up the list. From Berkely University's gardens, this is a stunning example of good design, using a single colour palette (aside from the blue of the Iris when in season), and focusing on form. You just want to float away..

It is dry as a bone here in Melbourne at this time of year, and our water supply is all but non existent. But fortunately we had rain water tanks put in last Christmas, and this year they are full. So aside from the scorch factor of the heat, I have some of that precious water and may just be able to start creating my summer oasis. Anyone have the number of a good gardener?

15 comments:

Elina said...

Oh I just love the cute chairs and the table! One would be lucky to find something similar up here and I'll hope you do, down there! :)

YU said...

hello, I have nominated you for "the lemonade award" on my blog. Check it out and see.

Anonymous said...

Very nice !

50sgal said...

I started my metal outdoor furniture collection last year. I found a full size sofa two side chairs an end table and a coffee table. The other day I found four chairs at our local church sale for 2 dollars a piece, I simply need to paint them white and reupholster the seats! I did my own pond a couple of summers ago and one of my projectst this coming summer is to enlarge it. I didn't want to pay for the expensive lin`er so I used layers and layers of cheap 4 mil plastic and it worked a treat. I even saved by gathering up local bulbs of lily pads an such on various nature walks in the spring at a pond nearby. I want to really do some vintage gardening this year. I already have 1950s landscaping books on the way thanks ebay!

Sheri said...

those are such beautiful gardens. I absolutely love the cottage garden style..cant wait till I buy my own house and my plants can leave their pots!

K.Line said...

That top photo is a salve for my miserable winter blahs.

WendyB said...

I want to live in that last photo.

Bucca said...

beautiful! I want a lovely pond now too!

Welcome to DeluxeVille said...

You lucky girl to be having summer right now! All I've got is snow! Oh how I miss my garden :(

Betsy

Lisamaree said...

How restful: and what an antidote to your heatwave. I guess those gardens are not subject to Stage 4 water restrictions hey?
My grandparents in Altona gave up and put astro-turf out the front. People stop and look at it, hands poised to ring the water police until they realise. I love it, looks like the Brady bunch house!
xx

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

After 43 degrees I'd even be tempted to have Jamie D dig around my back bits.

miss vintage love said...

Cute garden setting! Oh Ebay....I'm so addicted.

AshleyL. said...

I definitely agree! I love lush green patios. They are perfect for sipping some lemonade while reading a good book. You make me miss Summer :)

thevintageyear said...

Ooo if you want some lovely garden inspiration the Age's Melbourne Magazine had an article on some incredible Melbourne gardens today... it's so helpful to stare at pictures of cool lush green plant life when it's this hot!

Mrs Munster said...

I would love to have a beautiful garden but I'm just too lazy to keep it in good condition. My garden is just mainly for the dogs to run around and go for pee... bit depressing :)