Friday, January 23, 2009

Her Chequered Past

Me at about 14/15 with my little bro in the dress mum made especially for my holiday.

In a bid to find a few more ensembles to add to my hot weather wardrobe, I came across this number. She was almost forgotten as she'd been living in the dress up box for some time. My mother made me this dress when I was about 14/15 years old, and I wore it on my beach side holiday with visions of Grace Kelly in To Catch A Thief, dancing in my head. Now, I am more than twice that many years old, she sees the light of day again! I gave her a bit of a clean, iron and she still fits!




I am so thrilled with the way this dress looks now. I always had a tendency to dress older than my age, (as my tastes haven't changed much) and it seems I have now 'grown' into my style. But today I had to wear things just a little differently as that pesky broken toe is still preventing me from doing anything other than posing in my heels. So I popped on a cardigan pilfered from mums closet, a super cute pair of wide eyed bear earrings and my new pair of shiny red thongs (flip flops) from Duchess. This is how I actually met the day and headed off to grocery shop with girls in tow.




Outfit details: Dress by Mum, Cardigan - Katies (recycled), Shoes - Duchess, Earrings - SIX

I'm off tonight to see my other brother's band play for the first time. They've been getting all these rockstar gigs, and I haven't had an opportunity to see him strut his stuff. So I'll be getting ready for a night on the town and preparing for a huge long weekend tonight. We've got Chinese New Year celebrations, dinners, parties and I'm even holding a stall at the Camberwell market on Sunday in my ongoing attempts to purge. So If you don't see me this weekend, just picture me sleeping, exhausted in a pile of clothes.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dress looks better on you now than when you were a teen. I was doing a mental calculation about how old you would be. If you were 14/15 at the time of the photo adding the same age twice again you would be around 45?? There is no way doll that you are 45. If you are then I will run through the Bourke st Mall buck naked singing I have a lovely bunch of coconuts.
You can't be over 35, you simply can't!

Candice DeVille said...

Richardfitzme: no no, "more than twice that many" isn't three times! Take the first number, double it and add some. ;) Being rather obtuse I know!

Anonymous said...

Oh! You cannot be over 35. I can tell by your malar pads ;) I think that you are one of those lucky people who ages like wine - beautifully. In fact you look better now than when you were a little sprite! Gorgeous! Now mesmerize me with some of your classic vintage outfits. Please :)

floraposte said...

That dress looks better on you now. It is so fantastic that you kept it and it still fits!

WendyB said...

I'm blown away!

Kelly said...

The dress looks even more amazing now. I love the way you styled it with the jacket!

Jaede said...

I must agree, it looks fab on you now !!!

Stephanie N. said...

Wow, it really is lovely on you. Rather, you make it lovely.

Audi said...

Oh, that dress is lovely! Hooray for mum!

Meredith said...

Splendide!!!! I want one! ;)

Anonymous said...

How is that possible that you look 100 x better now than you did back then (no offence....)

Shannon said...

It certainly does look fabulous on you now. And with that cardigan, it's just gorgeous.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Oh wow, that dress looks so good on you! It's always great when you find something old you can start using again, especially if it is such a long time since you've worn it before :)

Amber said...

You look absolutley stunning! And I have to say the dress looks a little better without that small bit of lace hanging around the middle. Sort of streamlined.

Gladis said...

I agree! It's fabulous on you now. I do like it better without the cardigan, though.


Hope your toe feels better soon,

Antoinette said...

The dress looks gorgeous on you! I'd love a dress like that myself. And your skin looks divine too btw.

Sarah said...

Just as the other commenters have said, you look stunning, Doll! When you said you had worn flip-flops I wasn't sure how that would work, but then I scrolled to the photos and it looks fantastic. Totally works on so many levels. Way to rock the supermarket!!!

Meegan @ The Harvey Circus said...

Looks like everyone thought the same as me - you look way better in that outfit now that when in your teens!
Love the cardigan too :)

Anonymous said...

Stunning is an understatement you look F-A-B ... I agree this dress compliments you well now, I think it has to do with your hair pulled back...

Unknown said...

oh! I really love it! it's right up my alley, it fits you nicley, your mum must be a terrific seamstress!

Candice DeVille said...

Thank you so much everyone. I really feel much better in my own skin these days. Being a teenager is never easy, but being able to look back and know that the best years of your life are yet to come and not the other way around is something very important. Now if only I hadn't gotten rid of my old school uniform....

esme and the laneway said...

Absolutely wonderful – it seems even better now! And good work with looking fabukous in flip flops, that's no mean feat – oh dear, horrible pun, sorry – quite un-intnded. I do hope your toe feels better soon.

Mrs Munster said...

What a fabulous dress. It does actually suit you more now than in your teens. Some things never go out of fashion like gingham.

Tizzalicious said...

Wow, you are still lucky to still have that! Your look stunning in it!