Thursday, December 11, 2008

Inspiration Is Everywhere



I am fortunate enough to have my own little orchard here at home. I'm not the world's greatest gardener, so last year I lost all my fruit to ravenous birds, but this year I beat them to it. What a lovely picture to be greeted with first thing in the morning. Juicy red cherries, locuts and raspberries all waiting to become accompaniments for pancakes.




And not only was this collection delicious, it inspired me to tackle another of my long awaited jobs. I bought a dining setting about six years ago with the intention of covering the seat cushions. A job that kept being relegated to the bottom of the list. But with all these sweet summer treats I was inspired to get cracking and bring some enduring sweetness to my kitchen. Behold the finished product in all its strawberry goodness.




So now that I feel the satisfied glow of someone ticking another item off the To do list, I am off to get fancied up for tonight's Christmas party. I have a lovely sparkly silver shift that is just dying for an outing. Lots of gratuitous outfit photos will appear tomorrow for your enjoyment. And if all this deliciousness is making you hungry, I'll compensate you with my recipie for pancakes.

Pancakes

1 cup of SR flour
pinch of salt
2 Tbs of fine sugar
2 Tsp of melted butter
1 egg (beaten)
3/4 cup of milk

Sift the dry ingredients together
Add the sugar, eggs, butter and milk
Beat until smooth
Pour spoon fulls of mixture into a hot, greased frying pan.
Cook until lots of bubbles appear then flip.
Eat in any decadent way you choose!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, finally someone else who appreciates the amazing summer goodness of loquats! I have a giant tree (which I'll admit I don't lavish care upon and often lose fruit to the birds) and adore them on a hot summer's day. They're so bizarre, hardly anyone knows what they are around these parts.

atomicliving said...

I am jealous of your orchard and that u are in summer, whilst those of us in this silly hemisphere are in the dregs of winter. Today is a typical cape cod winter day, 50s and raining.
I want to plant up a small orchard this spring and have picke an area for it. It is where my bee hive currently is and will help with the pollinating of course! I am going to ring the orchard with blueberries and raspberries. And I am giving up part of my veg garden area to do a small vineyard (like like only 3 rows of say 10 plants) but I do want to try my hand at wine. I am glad to see that besides a loverly vintage icon u also enjoy gettin ur fingers in the soil. I post a pic of my chicken house that I built and designed with my own hands. I was quite proud of myself, tell me what u think of it. Hope ur party was fun. I work at home so my work parties consist of my three dogs and myself, there have been no lampshades on the head as of yet, but my chihuahua sometimes eats to much and gossips by the water cooler ;)

Chamukiin said...

eeey!!
hi how are you?? did you remember me? i´m the gril from Mexico... i love your blogg!! it´s so cute!! congratulations!!

also... i want to invite you to see my blogg... it´s not so intresting like yours but... I think it´s only the bigginin...
this is te link:
http://mychamukiin.blogspot.com/

i really hope that you like it!!
besitooos!! ^^

Anonymous said...

I wish you were my mum SKM, or my godmother! I just made my mum make your pancakes they're super!
Locuts are soooo good! We had a tree at your old place... Miss those little things.
Much love,
XXASAB
PS. Could we exchange links?

Neroli said...

Oooh. I just love berries - with anything! And now you have incorporated them into your furniture too.

I must confess to not ever trying loquats! They look delicious.

emsydo said...

what a conincidence! i'm eating pancakes right now.
I tried to plant strawberries once but my dog kept urinating on them because the area wasn't fenced off.

K.Line said...

An orchard!!!??? That's just so luxe I can't stand it. The cherries are awesome!

Candice DeVille said...

Lauren: So that's how you spell it. they are so delicious, we even had loquat jam last year.
Atomic Living: My garden and farm fantasies are just that - fantasies. When it comes to the really hard work, I have to admit that I leave that to the Mr. I love doing things like planting out and pruning, and other tasks that can be achieved in suitably fanciful attire.
Chamukiin: Yes, I do remember you, and I'll be over to visit real soon.
ASAB: Oh you are too sweet! I'm about to go through and update my links soon and I'm sure there will be a place for you. Are you a Melbourne girl?
TMS: The taste reminds me of apricots a bit, very delicious.
A Dreamer: Okay, that was very funny. Perhaps you should plant a lemon tree instead. i here they thrive in those conditions.
K.Line: It was one of those things on the fantasy wish list when we bought this house. I really know nothing about fruit trees, but they are wonderful to have and look amazing in Spring.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, a fruit garden! that's great! i've always wanted one, perhaps you can give us some tips on growing berries one day?